Since me and my wife just got married, she was faced with a difficult problem: how to change her GMail address so that her digital identity would not be lost (contacts, mails, other accounts related with google account etc).
So I surfed around the internet to find an easy solution and to my surprise, I did not find any! So if you want to replace your firstname.lastname@example.org with email@example.com, then keep reading!
First of all the main goal was to keep everything intact while using a new GMail address from now on. Since Google doesn’t support this out-of-the-box, we’ll need to put together a small workaround.
During these steps, GMail sends few confirmation e-mails, I did not describe them in the following steps hoping that confirming accounts is not that hard!
- Step 1: Create a new GMail account firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll need a new account if you want to change the actual e-mail address!
- Step 2: Open your new inbox and find the cog icon on the top-right corner of the inbox, click it and find Settings
- Find and click on the tab labelled Forwarding and POP/IMAP. This will configure how received e-mails are forwarded to another address.
- Click on Add a forwarding address and type in email@example.com. This will forward all e-mails sent to your new account to your old account
- Step 3: Log in to your old GMail account
- Step 4: Open your inbox and find the cog icon on the top-right corner of the inbox, click it and find Settings
- Find and click on the tab labelled Accounts and import. This will configure accounts that you manage. Find the section labelled Send mail as and click on Add another email address you own
- Enter your new e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org to the box with your new name!
- Step 5: The Send mail as section now has 2 entries, one is your old account, the other is the new account. Click on Set as default behind your new e-mail address.
All done! You will keep using your old GMail account as you did before with the exception that all composed e-mails are sent from email@example.com account and all emails sent to firstname.lastname@example.org are forwarded to your old account!